Background

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Tomato Basil Macaroni and Cheese


This is from the "light and luscious" portion of Paula's latest magazine, and although I am not sure I agree that its light (due to the 3 cups of cheese and the pound of pasta), it sure is luscious. I LOVE it. I hate buying herbs, but I loved the flavor of the basil in there. You have to try this one. Probably the best new recipe I've made lately. Serves 6-8.

What you need:
1 pound elbow macaroni (however I used shells and i highly recommend those instead)
1 cup panko (japanese bread crumbs)
1/4 cup parsley (you could skip this if you dont want to buy it, didn't do much for it)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup all purpose flour
4 cups skim milk
3 cups reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used two cups sharp cheddar and one cup colby jack)
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 cups grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cups chopped fresh basil

What you need to do:
Preheat oven to 400. Spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with Pam. Cook pasta until tender. Drain. In a small bowl, combine panko and parsley. Set aside. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until smooth. Add cheese, stirring constantly until thick and creamy. Add macaroni, salt, tomatoes, and basil. Spoon into prepared baking dish (and eat a little spoonful for yourself before it goes in to taste it). Top with reserved panko mixture. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment